How do the Dental Braces generally work?
- Once on the teeth, the braces apply constant pressure slowly and steadily over a period of time.
- This constant pressure moves the teeth slowly in the desired position.
- The desired movement can either be to close the space in case of excess spacing between the teeth.
- The movement can also be targeted to ease out and make room for teeth to emerge in the desired position for children with crowded teeth.
- The movement of teeth is immediately followed by the change in the bone shape that holds the teeth making the changes permanent.
- In case of excessive crowding removal of teeth (premolars) is an option to gain space and then the braces are fixed to move the teeth to the desired position.
What is Early Intervention?
Kids who are suspected that crowding or spacing can become a possibility due to the way the teeth are growing can get early braces. This is possible in the age between 7 and 12. This is the time period when the kids will have all their primary teeth starting to fall and the adult teeth are developing. Their jawbones are softer, can adjust fairly faster to any changes and can grow in ideal shape.
Are Braces only for Kids / Children?
Not essentially. Braces can be worn by adults too.
- Teeth position can shift and change at any age. So wearing braces at any age is fine.
- With the advent of versatile ceramic braces and Invisalign, more aesthetic options are considered by adults.
How long to wear Dental Braces?
The time period to wear braces generally extends to 12 months to 36 months. The time period to wear braces depends on the following factors.
- SThe severity of the problem. The more severe the crowding or spacing, the more months one has to wear.
- Health of teeth, gums and the supporting bone.
- How diligently the instructions are being followed.
- How diligently the braces are worn and maintained
Care After Wearing Dental Braces
- The braces have to be cleaned regularly. The dentists would provide you with details on how to clean and maintain them.
- Good oral care is important after wearing a dental brace. Specialized (orthodontic) toothbrushes are available to clean the braces.
- Some foods that are particularly sticky like fudge, chocolate have to be avoided while wearing the braces as they can pose a nightmare cleaning.
- Invisalign are by far the best option as they are removable and their maintenance is comparatively easier.
- Fluoride mouth washes are provided which has to be used continuously as part of oral hygiene.
The Different Types of Dental Braces
There are different primary types of dental braces though the variants are many in number. They are Traditional Metal Braces, Ceramic Braces, Self-ligating braces, Lingual Braces, and Invisalign.
Traditional Metal Braces
Remember those metallic brackets on every tooth and the wires that connect them – That is the traditional metal brace. The heavier ones were from the yesteryears. The modern metal braces are lighter and less noticeable. The wires that connect the brackets are more versatile and hence the better look.
They are almost similar in size and shape like a traditional metal brace. The only difference is the brackets are made of ceramic and are colored like a tooth. This coloration makes them almost invisible. Tooth-colored wires are also available to make the presence of braces almost invisible.
They are either a metal or ceramic brace which are softer on the bone. The treatment time is much faster than the other two because the technology behind is different. The brackets are smaller in size and do not have strings and bands like the traditional metal braces.
The brackets and wires are placed on the inside of the teeth so as to make the presence of brace totally invisible.
- They are completely invisible and are removable.
- Though they are removable, they have to be worn for a minimum of 22 hours a day.
- Can be removed while eating and brushing the teeth.
- Depending on the complexity, the individual will receive a certain set of custom-made Invisaligns depending on the treatment plan.
- The patient has to wear each as per the time prescribed by the dentist (for few weeks).