Who needs Sedation Dentistry?
- People with a general phobia of pain and the anxiety associated with dental procedures.
- People who have had a traumatic past experience with dental procedures.
- People with gag reflexes.
- Sedation dentistry is needed for people who are not able to feel numbness even though they have been injected with a numbing agent.
- People with sensitive teeth.
- People with an inherent fear of surgery needing a surgical intervention for their dental problems.
- More importantly children
Advantages of Sedation Dentistry
- Eliminates dental phobia and the anxiety associated with dental phobia in a majority of patients.
- A better oral hygiene is ensured for people who do not visit the dentist because of the dental phobia.
- Patients do not remember sounds, odors or smells associated with the dental visit.
- Patients with sensitive teeth are better able to attend to their dental procedures.
- Patients do not feel tired or fatigued once they have undergone the treatment.
- In a majority of cases, the treatment time is also cut down drastically because the pain is not felt and the dentist can carry on with the procedure without any interruption from the patient. Though the procedures in modern dentistry are not really painful, dentistry generally is thought to be painful.