Lingual braces are orthodontic appliances that fit behind the teeth, unlike a conventional dental brace that fits on the front surface of the teeth. They are practically invisible as they fit inside rather than outside. If you are someone who is looking at a discreet method of taking your orthodontic treatment, the lingual brace is just for you. But is that all? There should be some other reasons also why lingual brace could be your choice.
Things you should know about lingual braces
- As said, lingual braces are intricate orthodontic appliances that play a vital role in correcting your bite and alignment problems of the teeth. They are placed by a skilled dentist on the backside of your teeth.
- Traditional braces use standard brackets and wires whereas lingual braces use customized brackets and wires for each patient.
- Lingual braces are slightly costlier than the traditional braces.
- They are a perfect alternative to clear aligners when it comes to cost factor. Yes, clear aligners like Invisalign are costlier than lingual braces.
- The treatment duration of a lingual brace may be almost same to the treatment duration of a traditional brace. But again this may depend on your teeth condition and your dentist might be able to give you an idea of the duration. Since everyone’s orthodontic needs are different, the treatment duration will definitely vary from person to person.
- When people begin wearing lingual braces, they might experience something called lisping and whispering. These are a phenomenon where peculiar sounds are produced as you speak wearing the braces. But as you get accustomed wearing the braces, this should subside and you should be able to overcome your speech challenges.
- Apart from speech challenges you might suffer from tongue soar, eating difficulties and finding it odd to open and closing your mouth. But all these oddities subside as you become accustomed.
- The biggest challenge is maintaining your oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing become a tad challenging when you wear lingual braces. You may want to get a dental mirror just to be sure that no food strands are hiding on the back of your brace fitted teeth.
If you feel that lingual braces are for you after reading about them, you may decide to go in for lingual braces for your orthodontic treatment. In such a scenario, call our helpline at Expert Dental Care. Dr. Sravanthi, our leading dentist at Kilpauk and Porur branch should be able to assist you further.